Formation by Design Symposium 2015
After the success of the 2014 Formation by Design Symposium, the Designing the Future(s) Initiative is hosting a second gathering of thought partners in learning analytics, student formation, and whole person learning. In an effort to continue imagining and constructing a new age of learner-centered education, Georgetown University faculty and administrators will come together and collaborate with thought leaders, educators, and designers from institutions of higher education across the country and the world. The goals of this year’s symposium include:
- Engage in conversation to integrate whole person learning with our campus environment through pedagogical design, digital platforms and integrative assessment practices
- Discuss the use of learner analytics and new records of learning to begin to build an evidence base around whole person learning
- Form collaborations, networks, and alliances around particular strategies to action that advances our local work more effectively
Presentations, conversations, and workshops at the Symposium, which will run from June 15th – 17th, will focus on the latest methods to empower students in the digital ecosystem, develop new opportunities for faculty to engage in mentored-learning with their students, and design new institutional models that will provide space and opportunity for an experience-oriented education.
Responding to this distinct moment in today’s higher education landscape, the Formation by Design community will ask questions such as:
- What are the challenges and opportunities to bring formation to the center of higher education? How do we move this margin to the center?
- How do we use learning analytics to assess holistic growth of each individual student?
- What are digital environments and associated practices that might foster integration and connectedness?
- How do we make use of visible learning processes, and recreate critical spaces for seeing student learning?
These and many other questions will shape the conversation of the upcoming symposium. Check back soon to learn outcomes and further details about the event.